You've proven yourself to Raven by accomplishing something only the true Avatar could do. With this trust established between the two of you, she takes you to meet her employer, Samhayne, in the pirates' cove of Buccaneer's Den.
Map of Buccaneer's Den - Numbers in parentheses refer to numbers on Map
- When you've docked at Buc's Den, you'll be confronted by two pirates who demand your gold. There's really no way to avoid fighting them unless you give them some gold (about 50). Killing them does nothing bad to your Karma, and giving them some gold does nothing positive either, so unless you feel like being a nice person, you can easily dispatch these two. Hopefully you've gotten the Flaming Sword by now. Either that or the War Hammer from the Goblin Leader are good weapons for the next few areas. See the Compassion: Britain section for how to get the Flaming Sword. If you don't have it, I recommend loading an older game and getting it.
- This quest only works if you do it BEFORE you go talk to Samhayne (Raven's Boss) for the first time. After leaving the two pirates on the docks, follow the docks around and turn right. Follow the flight's of wooden stairs until you're on the North shore end of Buc's Den. You can come back to these shops later. Follow the path until you come to a women auctioning off a girl (2). Speak with the girl (just tell the auctioneer you'll bid on her when she interrupts you) and you'll learn she was kidnapped and proof that she's not a slave is hidden somewhere on the island. There are three ways to free the girl: 1) Just outright attacking and killing the slave trader (not recommended). 2) Buying the girl (not recommended either). 3) Finding the proof she spoke of. In the large ship docked at the end of the northern shore, you'll find a chest in the ship's cabin. Katie's note is in this chest. Take it with you when you go to Samhayne and you can request that he free the young girl. Once you've done this, return to the girl and she will thank you.
- The two shops on the northern shore are a Supply Store (3) and a Cartographer (4). Herzog is the Supply Store owner. He's full of information and has some useful items. You'll be able to find the Create Reagents scroll in the next area, so don't bother buying it. He'll buy any jewelry you find on Buc's Den if you're looking to empty your bag and get some money. If you click on the animal skull on his wall, a door opens in the storage area below his shop. There's a chest in here with a Chain Coif, Chain Leggings, a Cutlass and some more jewelry you can sell. Keagan the Cartographer has some treasure maps for sale that show the locations of some treasures buried in the Buc's Den Area. He sells different ones at different times, and you have to buy them, go adventure for a while, then come back later to get the next one. I'll talk more about these treasure locations later. If you click on the ships wheel behind Keagan, you'll lower a staircase to a small area in the roof. This is just his bedroom. There is a necklace in his chest you can take and sell and you can use his bed to sleep.
- Along the beach path on the northern shore, you'll find a Buc's Den Map laying around.
- Farther along the northern beach path, you'll come across a large man yelling at a smaller one. Talk to the burly man, and demand that he release the smaller man. When you defeat him, you'll learn he wasn't even a pirate in the first place. He tells you about how the pirates captured their ship and are supposedly holding the captain for ransom in a cave. I believe he may be referencing the cave where you find the Emerald Lighthouse Gem. More on its location later. You can take the pirate's spiked club if you want it.
- There is a man standing behind a crate that will remind you of a bad infomercial. He claims to be selling some amazing item and will only charge you half your current gold! If you give into this one of a kind deal, you get a fancy little "Ginwoo" knife. You can't equip it, and I have no idea if it serves some purpose later in the game. Any more info on it, please ICQ me.
- There is a Talking Bird flying around the northern docks that may start talking to you when you're walking around the area. He claims the pirates are hoarding Serpentwyne! He started talking to me when I picked up Katie's letter the one time. Don't know if that's the only trigger for the bird or not.
- There is a path at the end of the northern shore that leads up into the forested hills. There is some good treasure up in this area, but it's also infested with pirates who will attack you on sight.
- Along one stone wall there is an overgrowth of plants that seems somewhat out of place. Following this path will lead to where the Silver Serpent (5) has been taken. I HIGHLY recommend waiting on doing this quest until a later time. It's not that it's hard. It's just that if you do this quest now, a very useful vendor (whom you haven't met yet) will no longer sell to you. Therefore, I will not discuss it here and move onto the other hidden treasure.
- Kegean's Treasure #1 (6): Up near the Northwest corner of the northern shore, you can look across and see a boarded up hole in the middle of a large rock outcropping. It seems impossible to get to, but it is possible to get to at this point in the game. Near this area is a cannon on another rocky outcropping that seems just as hard to get to. To get up to this cannon, go around to the south to where it looks like you can walk up the rocks to the small bunch of trees (see pictures. this is hard to explain). Walk up as far as you can, then step to the left a little bit so you can jump around the plants growing at the top. Jump down to where the cannon is sitting. If you mess up, you'll just slide down to the shore. Just walk back up and try again.
Click on the cannon once to fire it, and it will swing to face the boarded up hole you saw before. Click it again to fire and break the boards. Make your way down to the water below the now open hole and swim out and climb up onto the small, rocky platform below the hole (this is trickier than it looks, but it is possible. Try doing it from the west side of the rock). Now carefully aim a jump up to the hole. You can now claim the Gauntlets of Fury (and some gold) at a very early point in the game! Swim back around to the shore to the Southwest to get out of the small cove.
- Now it's time to head to the Southern Shore. Here you'll find Samhayne, the Pub, a Wrestling Ring, the Lighthouse, and the means to get to the next area. Just jump onto the little boat at the south end of the center docks and it'll take you across. If it's ever not at the end you need it to be, just turn the wheel and it will come.
- To the left as you step foot on the southern shore from the small boat, there is a Wrestling Arena (7). Here you can pay and learn some new hand-to-hand combat moves. They're worth it, so learn as many as you can with your current dexterity. You earn some money back with each fight, too. When you're done with a round and can't learn anymore, just leave the ring and speak with the guy in charge to get your stuff back. This is the only place to learn Hand-to-Hand combat.
- Speak with the people in the Pub (8) to learn more about New Magincia and the storms at sea. If you ask for a drink and choose "The Special" you'll learn that they're selling Serpent's Venom. That means the Silver Serpent must be hidden around Buc's Den somewhere! More on this at a later point in the game. There appears to be several planks behind the Pub that you can jump up if you try really hard. All this lets you do is get on the Pub's roof. There's nothing up there that I found, though.
- In the Pub, go upstairs and out the door to get on the other side of the pub. There's a lift here that takes you up to the hills of the southern shore.
- Before you go up the lift, there's a small shack to the West. If you drink some Serpent Venom (available at the Pub) before accepting the woman's offer, you'll wake up to a... um... nice surprise... This woman is the one the drunk in the Pub sings about (Jade).
- Enter Samhayne's House (9) and speak with him. If you have Katie's Letter, mention this to him first, and he says he'll deal with it himself. He makes a proposition for you: He's tired of waiting for someone to deal with the column affecting the seas, so if you can solve the problem of the whirlpools first, he'll give you the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom. How he managed to get his hands on this powerful tome is a mystery, but you make the deal and go on your way. He tells you that someone in New Magincia may have more information about the columns. Search Samhayne's house for some useful items. In hit closet, you'll find a Chain Chest piece, and a Chain Coif. If you click on the Iron Maiden bookend in the other small room, a ladder will lower out in the lobby area of his house. Up there you will find some Chain Arms, Chain Boots, and more jewelry to sell. If you got the Wrymguard Arms from Despise, they are actually a bit better than the Chain ones, so keep them instead. Now it's time to find a way to New Magincia.
- Keagan's Treasure #2: If you continue going South after leaving the upper lift platform, and follow the path around and up, you'll come to a Sewer Hole (10). Make sure you have full health, and drop down and kill off the Giant Rats. Follow the drain until you come to a Valve. Turn it and a door to the East will open. Enter the new area open the chest which sets off a homing fireball trap. This is why I said to have full health, as this can hurt you pretty bad. In here you'll find the Chain Gauntlets, a Crystal Barrier Scroll, an amethyst gem, and a yellow potion. The only way out is the drainage outlet. Go out and slide down the cliff to the shore.
- Go to the East along the shore and you'll come to a large cave. In it you'll find some gold, a bottle of Serpentwyne, and the Emerald Lighthouse Gem (11). It needs to be polished, so keep it with you until you can get back to Britain City.
- Keep walking East and you'll come around to the Lighthouse (12).
- There's a ghost wandering around this area. Speak with him and he'll ask you for some Rum. If you don't have any, go back to the Pub and buy some. Return with the Rum and he'll tell you where is ship sank. It's back on the northern shore side. If you jump off the northern shore docks, swim out to near the end of the large ship docked there, and look down, you can see a Sunken Ship (14). It's VERY challenging to get to without a blue potion or the Aqua Breath spell (which you won't have at this point). It's right on the edge where the treacherous waters begin and you rapidly start to loose breath. It can be down without either, but all you get for your troubles is 100gp.
- Enter the cave (13) with the stone statues by the Lighthouse. You'll come to a point where a voice asks for the password. The password can be found on a scroll in the house next to the Slave Trader. It's is KEELHAUL. Type in the password, and a passageway opens up. If you go through without speaking the password, you just go in a circle. Keep a weapon drawn, as you'll have to break a lot of cobwebs, and beware the spike traps. The War Hammer is good because it destroys the cobwebs here in one hit, along with the Giant Rats. There is a fancy chest along the way that is locked. The key is in the crate next to it. Just break the crate to get it. The chest contains some gold. Exit the cave and the Guardian will laugh at you once again. You're now in New Magincia...