With the Glyph now in your possession, it's time to confront the Mayor and get the Sigil of Compassion. Although this may seem like an easy task, there is much more involved than a simple request...
Road to Paws
- Return to Britain and go to the Mayor's House. You will find that neither he nor his daughter are there. Speak with Killigan in his room and he will tell you that the Mayor has gone to Paws to look for his daughter. Head out the SW gate of town and follow the road west.
- Just outside this gate, you can jump up the rocks to the south the jump up onto the the stone gate roof. There is a chest up here with a Telekinesis Scroll.
- Stop and speak with the blind lady along the road. You'll find out that she is a Fortune Teller. She will tell you about your quest and give you information about Karma. Thank her for her advice and you will get a Karma Boost.
- Past the lady, you'll come to a burning farm. Approach and you'll hear a young boy cry for help. "Douse" the fire at the door where the boy is trapped to rescue him and gain a Karma Boost. He will tell you about a group of bandits that attacked the family's home and kidnapped his mother. He said that they are in the mountains to the NE.
- Head back east to the Paws signpost. There is a road that leads north into the mountains here. Beware of the goblin and follow the road. You will come to an old man living in a shack you demands that you leave him alone. Farther north of the shack is a goblins' cave. You'll find that this cave has been blocked by decree of Lord British. Remember this cave for later in the game. One of the goblins kept a small scroll journal. Read it and you'll get a hint of where to look next.
- Go bank into the shack and pull the lever behind the broken crate. The old man will attack you for continuing to disturb his home. This lever moves a rock behind the house and gives you access to the mountains. Go around the shack and up into the mountains. The rock will slide back behind you temporarily trapping you. Follow the path, attacking any bandits that attack you until you come to their camp. Approach and the lead bandit will speak with you and then attack. Dispatch the bandits and speak with the woman for a Karma Boost. She speaks of something hidden in a lake that the thieves were looking for. Read the Thieves' journal to find out more about this hidden treasure and why they attacked the farm.
- Head back West across the bridge and follow the dirt path up into the snowy mountains. At the top where the mountain becomes snowy, turn to the south and you'll see a cave. To the north is a small lookout where you can see a waterfall and some ruins below. You can Beware of the wolves wandering up in the mountains here. Enter the cave and follow it down. You'll come to a branch in the cave where there's a chest. The chest contains a ghost's bracelet (anyone know what this is for? Please ICQ me.) To the east you'll find the bandit's lair. Take their loot and then head back and take the western branch down into the cave farther until it opens up outside. Dispatch the small group of bandits to the north and take out the predatory fish with some well aimed Stone spells. Dive in the pool and swim into the underwater cave on the north side. Swim to the other side and take the stash of gold, reagents, and gems. Swim back out and make your way back out to the old man's shack. Some fish may have respawned in the pool. Surface and use your Stone spell if they have.
- Back along the road to Paws, you'll come to an Troll guarding a bridge. Just before him, there is a small alcove in the mountain where some wolves have made a home. They've managed to get a Cure Scroll in there somehow. Take it for later use. There are several ways to deal with the Troll. The first, and easiest, is to mess with his head. When he asks for 10 gold pieces, ask him how much that is. With the way he's counting, that will keep him busy while you wander right by him. You can do this as many times as you want every time you cross the bridge. Run into his cave really quick first and grab the valve in the chest. This'll save you the trip later. Now go back and cross the bridge. The Troll has probably managed to get to 3 by now. ;) The other ways are to either kill the troll or go around him the long way to the south near a signal fire.
Map of Paws
- Approach the swamp just across the bridge and you'll witness and scene where a Paws local saves the Mayor from an attack by a giant rat. This begins to change the Mayor's view on how he's been treating the sick and crippled. Make your way along the make-shift walkways into the building with the Mayor in it. Be VERY careful when walking along these planks. Until you get the Swamp Boots, these waters are VERY poisonous and can kill you pretty quick if you're not careful. Enter and speak to the Mayor and you'll find out his daughter was exiled to Paws because of his own laws and has now kidnapped by goblins. He tells you the goblin camp is in the South part of Paws and will promise to give you the Heart of Compassion if you ask about it if you save his daughter. Upstairs in this house you'll find a Map of Paws and some cure potions.
- Go out the west door and you'll find a small boy crying. He tells you why he was sent to Paws. Take the path to the south that leads to a large windmill. There is a lady on the nearby island that tells you that the windmill's valve has broken and a caravan that was supposed to come through with supplies never came. They can't get back to Britain for help because of the troll guarding the bridge. If you didn't grab it already, the valve is located in the large cave next to where the troll is wandering. Place the valve in the empty socket in the windmill to fix it and get a Karma Boost. Back at the island with the boy, take the other southern path that leads to a sinking house. Inside you'll find the Britain miller and a healer. If you have some Serpentwyne you can give it to the healer for another Karma Boost.
- Go around the house with the healer in it and you'll see a large house with a goblin guarding it. The NW branch of the path leads to a sunken house with a cure potion. Kill the goblin guard, go in the house, and go up the stairs. Confront the Goblin leader. Be careful of his hard-hitting war hammer. You can take this hammer when you kill him. It's actually pretty equal to the flame sword against non-magical creatures. It's definitely a good weapon to keep with you for a long time until a really powerful weapon comes along. You'll get a Karma Boost for saving Meribeth. Speak with her then return to the Mayor who will thank you for saving his daughter. Speak with him about changing is law and about the Heart of Compassion. For saving his daughter, he gladly gives you the Heart.
- Speak with Peg-Leg Joe again and he'll offer you some training with the Staff. For 250 gold he'll teach you the Level 2 Staff Attack if you've got the Dexterity.
- Now it is time to return to the Shrine of Compassion and cleanse the Virtue of its taint...