Part 7: Complete Walkthrough - Zealan Shrine
You begin your pilgrimage, as Vividos instructed, wondering what the Birthplace would be like. Would you have an incredible vision as he described? You finally arrive there and discover the entrance to an ancient Shrine. You find a book near it's entrance and read how the ancients made obstacles for their people in order to be granted the privilage of meeting their Deities. Little do you know that your pilgrimage leads you to discover a destiny few mortals could ever dream of!
- Return to the Upper Catacombs via the building north of Vividos's monestary. Follow the same path you did to get to the Necromancer's and you will come across a building with a plaque on it. The plaque reads, "Birthplace of Moriens". Use the Key of the Scion to unlock the door and enter.
- To the north is the Birthplace. Straight to the west of the entance is a skeleton with a "Restore to sight" scroll on it. Kill the ghouls that rise and cast it. A chest will appear. Take what you want from it and go back to the north. On a dead body there you will find a book about the Zealans that contains a bit of their history and a reference to Shrines they built. There is also a scroll that confirms the Shrine's existance. Go North through the doors and you are now in the Zealan Shrine.
- Lever puzzle: Head north then west past the rolling spheres past a door. Continue east past a northern branch in the passage to a platform with a chest in the middle. I've read that throwing the skulls off the platform disables some of the traps. Sometimes it works; other times it doesn't. I asked for help with this, and this is what I got: pull the levers in this order: West, North, East, West. I'd appreciate anyone else out there trying this order, and letting me know if it works. If it does, then it will be a permanent part of the page.
- Unlock the door to the north and follow the passage north, east, south, and west to a trapped chest. Open it and take the Skull of Quakes (you'll find out what to do with this later. KEEP IT!!). There are some reagents in the area, too. Go back to the levers platform and head west and take the northern branch to a fence maze.
- Fence maze: A gate to the east will lower. Walk through and a gate to the north will raise. Step of the pressure plate and back on again to lower it. Walk through and a gate to the east will lower. Walk through and another eastern gate will lower. You will see a raised walkway. Walk to the NW to a single column at a corner. Face the northern side of it, and climb up. Turn and face NW and jump out of the fence maze.
- Turn west and climb up the ledge you come to. Jump over the water pit, and turn north at the first chance. You'll come to a grave. Use the reagents and bag there to cast Open Ground. Fall through and head south then west through an arch and then east to a platform with marbles on it. Marble Gate puzzle: Stand on top of the skull there and take small steps north until you see a corner of the raised platform on the other side of the gate. Make sure you don't accidentally step off the skull, and throw a marble at that lower corner. The gate will lower.
- Collect the 2 keys, reagents, and whatever else you want from this next area. The levers opperate the elevators so you can get under the raised platform. If, for some reason, you want to get on top, you have to climb up. Jump over the light beam to avoid another trap. There are some coins to the west by a candle. An easy way to stop the fire shooter to the east from harming you is to place a candlestand from the hallway in front of it to block it. You may have to find just the right place to put it, but it works.
- Stair puzzle: This puzzle follows a classic pattern of many others that I have seen. Using the clock there (much easier that walking from plate to plate) you move the stair pieces up and down. However many steps one goes down, the next move will make one go up that many steps (example move: first middle step goes down one, the next move will make a step move up one). But, if you try and put a higher step in front of a lower one, it will not work. The goal is to make a complete staircase in the middle. I didn't put the solution right here, because this is one of the more challenging puzzles, and it feels better to solve it yourself with only a few clues. If you want the complete solution, click
- Once solved, leave the clock on the middle step, and walk up the steps. Cast either Rock Flesh or Withstand Death and walk through the light beams. Unlock the first large door and go through both sets of doors. UNDER (not in the inventory of) the skeleton lying on the front bench is a key. This key unlocks all the Short doors in the Shrine. Go back out the doors and to the east wall until you see a door. Unlock it and go through to the south to another door. Unlock it and you're out on the other side of the Stair Puzzle. Use this path to get back to the temple again.
- Go back just past the Marble Platform again, but this time turn south to a short door. Go through and get the Zealan Ceremonial Shield. Return to the Temple and place it on the Altar to speak to the Zealan Deities. They will tell you to get a certain item from the other side of the doors behind them.
- Use Mythran's "Secret Door Scroll" (despite what Mythran says, the scroll never runs out of charges) on the door. Go through and face Khumash-Gor. Easiest thing to do is prepare a Grant Peace spell before entering and use it. He will leave behind a random item and the
Scimitar of Khumash-Gor. If you've already gotten the Deciever Axe, keep it. It's more powerful. In one of the small boxes behind the throne is the Blackrock Obelisk Tip. Take it and return to the main Temple hall to talk to the Deities again and learn your Destiny.
Stair Puzzle Solution
Place the clock on the platforms (numbered 1, 2, 3 from left to right) in this order, read from left to right:
3,1 3,2 1,2 3,1 2,3
2,1 3,1 3,2 1,2 1,3
2,3 1,2 3,1 3,2 1,2
The first number of a pair will lower a stair, while the second number will raise a stair.