Part 7: Complete Walkthrough - Earth
You've been sent on your first quest as an apprentice Necromancer. Vividos told you to search for Dead Man's Elbow and Executioner's Hood. Since you are new to magic on Pagan, he described them for you and told you where they can be found. You return to him with the reagent's and are on your way to learning your first Necromantic Spells.
- Dead Man's Elbow is located in West Tenebrae under a tree in the northern section by an abandoned house. You will find some three-pointed sticks. Take them all. As long as you remain out of combat mode, the ghost will NOT attack you. Just ignore the ghouls in the area and stay away from them to avoid a fight.
- Executioner's Hood is located to the East of the entrance to the cemetary along East Road. It's in the lower ground level area on a small plateau in the center. Kill any Changlings in the area. You will have to climb up onto the plateau to get all of the mushrooms.
- Vividos only accepts the reagents if they come from these places. If you get them from anywhere else, he won't acknowledge that you got them.
- When you retrun to Vividos, drop all of the mushrooms but one anywhere around the area that you will be able to pick them up later. He only requires you to have one, so you might as well keep the rest for yourself. The Dead Man's Elbow is not useful to you, so just let him have them all. The wood reagent you'll need is different.
- Vividos will give you the Key of the Caretaker. Make sure your inventory IS NOT full or you will lose this very important item forever!
- Get the all reagents from upstairs and take the bag that is there to keep them in. This makes your backpack less cluttered. Find another bag somewhere else in Tenebrea to prepare the spells in. The grey guard towers had some.
- Read the books to learn the spells. Although you may already know this information from the Manual, your character doesn't. He needs to learn them himself in the game before he can cast them.
- Go in the bedroom in the NE corner of the second floor and read the scroll in the chest. This was Lothian's last gift to the Necromancers: The Call Quake spell.
Vividos has sent you on a quest of knowledge to become his apprentice. Using the new magics you have learned, you will gain this knowledge from the Necromancers of the past. You go to seek them out in the Catacombs of Pagan. You find out that learning the ways of a Necromancer are not easy, and that to gain more knowledge, you must use what you have already been taught.
- Go to the building north of Vividos's home and cast Open Ground on the rear wall. Beware of ghosts outside the building. Enter and you are now in the Upper Catacombs.
- Pull the northern lever to open the gate. Walk to the Northeast until you come to a fenced off area. DO NOT ENTER (as the sign there says). Walk around it to the north and climb up and over the red pedestal. Pull the lever on the other side to make things easier for the other times you'll be coming through here. Walk to the east and follow the northern wall until you come to a little building with a ghoul in it. Where the wall becomes natural rock along the way, there are some bone reagents around.
- There are magic leggings in the box in that building. To get them: when the floor first drops out, click and hold both mouse buttons. You'll catch yourself if you time it right. Quickly release then click and hold the left mouse button to pull yourself up. Kill the ghoul and take the leggings. Then drop through.
- There are some useful reagents in the barrels to the west. Walk north, west, south, and west again and you'll come to the first Ancient Necromancer. Along the way, there is a ruined building with reagents in a chest. Watch out for the fire bomber to the north. Use Death Speak to talk to the Necromancers. You'll learn Mask of Death.
- Go northeast and you'll come to a ridge. Climb over it. Avoid (or if you want to try and kill it) the kith, then cast Mask of Death on yourself to get by the Daemons. Northwest of the Daemons is some Blood. The chest there is trapped and empty. Walk north to the next Necromancer and learn Rock Flesh.
- Cast Rock Flesh on yourself and run through the lightening. Follow the path west, south, then east to get to the third Necromancer. On the way there is a backpack with reagents in it being guarded by a kith. You'll learn Summon Undead and be teleported when you're done.
- You'll be teleported to a plateau with a bunch of Undead across the water. There are reagents on the bodies around here. I found the easiest way to get to the Necromancer is to cast Invisible (scroll or potion) on yourself and make your way quickly around the Undead to him. You can also try killing all the ghouls and skeletons and then throwing their bodies over the edge so they don't resurrect. That's easier said than done, though. (From the fourth Necromancer on, you don't have to use Death Speak to talk to them. There is a bug in the game that lets you do this. Take advantage of it to save reagents) After you learn Grant Peace, you'll be teleported again.
- Kill the Changlings and make your way to a small structure in the middle of the grass. Before you enter, there are many reagents to collect in this area. Especially in the chests. Enter the area, and you'll be teleported again.
- Walk east then north, killing the ghoul that rises, and grab the reagents off the clothed skeleton. The chest is trapped. Walk south around the water to a plateau. Climb onto it and grab the Magic Armor and reagents. Run east until you come to lava. Jump to the north, then across the lava, and climb up. Follow the plateau until it ends, jump to the southern plateau, and be teleported. I usually use an invisibility potion because of the kith that's right where you're teleported to. Run west (stopping is not recommended) until you're at the 5th Necromancer's platform. Learn Withstand Death and be teleported.
- Walk west, north, west, north, and you will come to a building and a lever. Flip the switch on the building to lower the gate to the north. Pull the lever to lower the metal wall. Kill the skeleton permanently with Grant Peace, and get the Blood out of the building.
- Continue along and you'll come to a branch in the passage way. Take the left branch first until you come to a raised platform. Use the same technique described in the beginning for getting up onto the guard towers to get up on the platform. Get the reagents, return to the branch in the passage, and take the right branch. Use Rock Skin (much more useful than Withstand Death, and uses less reagens) to get by the fire shooter. On your way, you'll see a dead ghoul with a blood spill around him. There is a bag with reagents in it.
- Talk to the 6th Necromancer and learn Create Golem and the location of the Hall of the Mountain King. Exit the room, banish the ghost that appears (via Grant Peace), and leave the area. You're now on the eastern end of the Upper Catacombs. Fall off the ledge and walk south avoiding puddles (you'll fall through the floor if you get too near them) and out the door at the bottom. You're now in the Upper Catacombs 2. This is a jump point for all other important places in the game.
You've learned all you can from your Necromantic brethren, and now it's time to face the Lord of Pagan Earth: Lithos. You have the magical, living key to his domain, and make your way through the next level of the catacombs to Stone Cove.
- Start walking south. There are occasionally reagents lying about. You're first obstactle will be a pit with skeletons in it. The easiest way to get by here is to "Grant Peace" on the skeletons, lower yourself down, and climb back up the other side. You will then pass through a narrow area that you can't see your character when he passes through it. There may be a ghost on the other side. Grant it Peace, too.
- Continue south until you come to a metal wall that lowers to reveal a fire shooter. You can either time walking by it safely, then jump over the spike on the other side, or you can walk back north a ways until you see a narrow passage off to the west. Follow it around, and you will be brought out on the other side of the spikes.
- Go to the switch in on the post. The roof will once again fall. You can do one of two things here: You can let the piece of roof hit you, thereby leaving the path back out clear. Or you can let it hit the ground and climb over it. Either way, flip the switch to lower the gate. Walk through the gate, through the door, and you're now in Stone Cove.
- Stone Cove is an infinite source of 4 reagents. Wood, Executioner's Hood, Dirt, Blood, and Blackmoor. Executioner's Hood is along the Northern wall. Wood is in the grassy area south of the large doors. Blood is along the eastern wall by a dead body. Dirt is around the lake to the southeast. Blackmoor is around the stalagmites around the southern shore. To get as much of any of these reagents you want, pick up the reagent and walk away for a while. Come back and it will be there again. For example, you can walk around the lake with the dirt around it and the dirt will reappear everytime you circle it. The other reagents aren't this simple to get, but it is possible.
- At a certain point along the southern shore, you will notice stepping stones. Jump south from one to the other until you get to a small island with a plateau. The Guardian will once again comment on your progress. Walk around to the west and jump to the large island. Beware the skeletons here. Climb up and claim one of the games greatest prizes: The Deciever Axe.
Before you now lies the large doors to his Kingdom. You will once again be tested to see if you are worthy to gain an audience with your new "lord". From him you will learn your final steps to becoming a Necromancer's apprentice. When you've finally become one, you're given a quest that all Necromancer's dream of.
- Summon a Golem from the dirt in front of the large doors and command it to open them. You now enter the Hall of the Mountain King.
- Go north past the Golem until you reach a canyon running east & west. Jump over it while watching out for the fire bombs. Continue north and you'll come to a ruined building. Since the gate lever is broken, you'll have to climb over the low wall to the right of the gate. Pull the lever next to the chair and 3 ghouls will rise. Kill them and get out the same way you came in.
- Go back to where the Golem was, but this time go west. You'll come to a disappearing bridge (the lever activated it). Time it right to get to the other side and then jump from platform to platform.
- Being wary of yet another Golem, go north and wait for the platform to appear again before jumping to it. Follow the fading platforms around to the west. Walk north past the door and make your way through the Force Field maze to a chest at the north end. Take the key and the Gem of Protection (keeps force fields from harming you). There may be some creatures there at the door to greet you on your return.
- Unlock the door and follow the passage west until it opens up again. Watch out for fire mushrooms and make you way north and down to the shore.
Secret: Instead of jumping from stone to stone, walk west along the shore until you're off the screen. Once you are, take about 7 SMALL steps until you see land along the west wall. Jump to it, and walk along the shore to the other end.
- Climb the steps and walk north until you see a tall stalagmite against the west wall. There is a narrow, hard-to-see passage to the north of it. Follow it and you'll come to some Adventurer's Mushrooms. Eat them if you're low on health. Go south (there may be some changlings around) through the force fields to a chest. In the chest, under the left red potion, is a key. Take it and go back out the narrow passage. Take about 20 NORMAL steps north and you will come to another narrow passage to the west.
- At the northern end of the larger passageway, past a troll, is an Earth Symbol in the ground with barrels and a chest around it. They contain magic scrolls and metal armguards. The Symbol teleports you back near the entrance. Make sure you stay away from it. There are some scrolls metal armguards here. To get off the small island, stand near the closer of the two vanishing platforms and climb up when it appears and jump to the next one quickly.
- Take the western passage and you'll eventually come to a spot where you have to jump across some water. Do that, unlock the door, and continue north then west (don't stop walking unless you want to get hit in the head) and you'll come to some more floating platforms. Jump them and go to the south first. Go all the way south, past another Earth Symbol, and walk near the Recall Pad to activate it. Go back north and talk to Lithos.
- Recall back to Central Tenebrae and go to the Cemetary to talk to Vividos. Tell him that Lithos told you to inter Lothian. He will give you instructions and a new Key. Once again, make sure you have room in your inventory for one item or you'll lose this item forever. Inter Lothian using the Key of the Scion. She can be found outside Vividos' Monestary in the upper right corner. Return to Vividos to learn of your pilgrimage to the Birthplace of Moriens.