Ultima 8's infamous Cheat Room
While in the Tenebrae Library, you came across an Adventurer's book (Adventure Quarterly, Vol IX) that tells of The Forgotten Riches of Knarl. Knarl was a great city of trade and was the origin of many magical weapons and spells. It is rumored that it was sealed away by magic. There are many supposed locations of the lost city, but all agree that the entrance to it lies in the Lower Catacombs. It is said that only he who is sound of heart and steady of sword will find this passage and bathe in all its glory.
- You will have to have completed the Earth section of the game to be able to enter the Lower Catacombs. There are two entrances to it. The following is, IMO, easier.
- Enter the Upper Catacombs which ever way it is easiest (or possible) for you.
- For an easy reference point to start from, find the Birthplace of Moriens. From here, head through the passage to the eastern section of the Catacombs. Immediately turn south and walk past what looks like a broken staircase. Walk to the south and a gate will close. Walk away and walk back again, and the gate will lower. Beware the ghosts and ghouls in this area.
- Walk through the gate and then to the west until you come to a door. Kill the ghoul that rises. Unlock the door with the Key of the Scion, and enter the Lower Catacombs.
- Beware of fire shooters and bombs in this entrance area. Rock Flesh, Intervention, or a purple potion are recommended. Once through, walk to the NW so the gate closes. Walk South and pull the one lever there that is not broken. Walk South again and through the gate. Pull the Eastern lever to open the Northern Gate. Walk back North and through the gate.
- Follow the passage until you come to a door with a fire shooter in front of it. Dodge the fire shooters and walk around the lava on the way.
- Stand directly in front on the door (right in front of the fire shooter). Make sure your arrow is as small as it can be and hit both mouse buttons to jump directly up. You will be teleported to the cheat room.
- This room contains all the weapons (magic and non-magic; except the Blade of Striking), the magic shield all the regular helmets, one of each of the scrolls you find throughout the game, fire and chaos gems, and oil flasks.